The Office of Inspector General (OIG) released a report that focused on its fiscal year 2014 Work Plan. The work plan summarizes the activities the OIG plans to pursue with respect to HHS programs and operations during the current fiscal year (FY) and future years.
The OIG Work Plan for FY 2014 provides brief descriptions of continued and upcoming OIG activities regarding hospitals, nursing homes, hospices, home health services and other community based care, medical equipment, prescription drugs, and other providers and suppliers. The Work Plan descriptions for Nursing Homes can be found on pages 8-10.
For nursing homes, the following items are included:
- Medicare Part A billing by skilled nursing facilities
- Questionable billing patterns for Part B services during nursing home stays
- State agency verification of deficiency corrections.
- Program for national background checks for long-term-care employees
- Hospitalizations of nursing home residents for manageable and preventable conditions