Today, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) announced two initiatives to improve the quality of post-acute care. First, the expansion and strengthening of the agency’s widely-used Five Star Quality Rating System for Nursing Homes will improve consumer information about individual nursing homes’ quality. Second, proposed new conditions of participation for home health agencies will modernize Medicare’s Home Health Agency Conditions of Participation to ensure safe delivery of quality care to home health patients.
Beginning in 2015, CMS will implement the following improvements to the Nursing Home Five Star Quality Rating System:
- Nationwide Focused Survey Inspections
- Payroll-Based Staffing Reporting: CMS will implement a quarterly electronic reporting system that is auditable back to payrolls to verify staffing
- Additional Quality Measures: CMS will increase both the number and type of quality measures used in the Five-Star Quality Rating System
- Timely and Complete Inspection Data
- Improved Scoring Methodology
- Click here to read the full press release.