Home Health

Home health agencies must enroll with state Part B Medicare Administrative Contractor to provide home infusion therapy

Beginning Jan. 1, home health agencies that wish to provide and bill Medicare Home Infusion Therapy (HIT) professional services for calendar year 2021, will be required to enroll with the Part B Medicare Administrative Contractor (A/B MAC) in their state.

Home health agencies will no longer be able to bill professional HIT services on the standard 837/CMS-1450 (UB-04) institutional claims form with their professional home health services, according to a release from CMS.

As stated in a release on the CGS website, “During the HIT Services Temporary Transitional Payment period and prior to CY 2021, a home health agency was not considered an eligible home infusion supplier and therefore could not bill for the home infusion therapy services temporary transitional payment. However, if a patient was considered homebound and was under a Medicare home health plan of care, the HHA may have continued to furnish the professional services related to the administration of transitional home infusion drugs, in accordance with the Home Health Conditions of Participation (CoPs) and other regulations, as home health services and bill for such services as home health services under the Medicare home health benefit.”

For more information about this change, visit https://www.cgsmedicare.com/hhh/pubs/news/2020/12/cope19852.html.