Agencies should ensure clinicians are familiar with the high-risk drug classes ahead of OASIS-E implementation and the addition of N0415 (High-risk drug classes: use and indication).
Explain why it’s important. Be sure that staff are educated and competent in the various high-risk drug classes. Designate education around different medications.
Make sure you’re asking the right questions. Some key questions for clinicians to consider include:
- Are they taking them as ordered?
- Are they skipping doses?
- Are they taking too much?
- Do they understand possible side effects and interactions?
- Can they afford their meds?
- Are they avoiding taking them because they are too big to swallow?
- Do they understand how the medications can help them?