The following post is an excerpt from Medicare Guide for SNF Billing and Reimbursement by Janet Potter, CPA, MAS, and Frosini Rubertino, RN-CNE, CDONA/LTC, CPRA.
The following ethical principles are based on the core values of The Billers’ Association for Long-Term Care. They apply to all members. Long-term care billing professionals shall do the following:
- Advocate, uphold, and defend the individual’s right to privacy and the doctrine of confidentiality in the use and disclosure of information.
- Use only legal and ethical means in all professional dealings and refuse to cooperate with, or condone by silence, the actions of those who engage in fraudulent, deceptive, or illegal acts.
- Put service and the health and welfare of persons before self-interest, and conduct themselves in the practice of the profession in a way that brings honor to themselves, their peers, and their profession.
- Preserve, protect, and secure personal health information in any form or medium, and hold in the highest regard the contents of records and other information of a confidential nature, taking into account the applicable statutes and regulations.
- Refuse to participate in or conceal unethical practices or procedures.
- Advance specialty knowledge and practice through continuing education, research, publications, and presentations.
- Recruit and mentor peers and colleagues to develop and strengthen the professional workforce.
- State truthfully and accurately their credentials, professional education, and experiences.
- Facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration in situations that support long-term care.
- Respect the inherent dignity and worth of every person.
- Avoid participation in, condoning of, or being associated with dishonesty, fraud and abuse, or deception.
To learn more about The Biller’s Association for Long-Term Care, a national membership community created specifically for LTC billing professionals that provides resources, tools and billing specific education, as well as regulatory guidance and a discussion forum for billing professionals and office managers, click here.
For HCPro’s go-to resource to help billing staff tackle even the most complex billing issues, click here.