A new bill, The Quality Care for Nursing Home Residents Act (S.2943), proposes to add minimum staffing requirements for SNFs participating in Medicare and Medicaid. The new bill, as summarized by The National Consumer Voice for Quality Long-Term Care, would:
- establish minimum nurse staffing levels for nursing homes under Medicare and Medicaid;
- expand training requirements and supervision for all nursing staff;
- create whistleblower and other protections for nursing home personnel and residents;
- prohibit the use of forced arbitration agreements between residents and any nursing home entity; and
- develops a standardized protocol for nursing facilities to obtain informed consent for residents for treatment with psychotropic drugs.